As part of my holiday traditions, I watch the Big Fat Quiz of the Year and the Big Fat Quiz of Everything (they’re British and you can find them on YouTube), and as a result I have just now heard the song “Life,” by Des’ree, which apparently has been voted by British people as having the worst lyrics of all time. I think yes probably. It makes me very happy.
Nic says: I’ve never actually registered the words to this song before. Why is it scarier to be in a park after dark, than anywhere else? Are the ghosts in the park?
Romie: It really makes you ponder.
Emily: Because it’s the sight that she fears most? (I’m doing all this from horrified memory.)
Ciro: Disclaimer: DO NOT WATCH IF YOU ARE IN A PARK OR PARK-LIKE AREA
To clarify, I’m not convinced that “Life” dethrones the deranged brilliance of “Snake Eater.” However, I think “Snake Eater” is in its own category and is therefore not part of the competition.
Here’s some recent cheery U.S. news.
- Repeal Obamacare without a replacement using a budget move? Republican Senators Bob Corker of Tennessee, Rob Portman of Ohio, Susan Collins of Maine, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska say no.
- Which is maybe enough to kill the idea totally.
- About three weeks ago, an 8 year old dressed up as Ruth Bader Ginsburg for superhero day. Ruth Bader Ginsburg saw it, and just sent her a handwritten note. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is always watching.
- If you’re feeling at all alone in your dislike of Trump, don’t! The majority of us agree on this one. It’s not just that he lost the popular vote; at this point, only 41% of voters approve of how he’s doing. He got 46% of the vote, so that means even some Trump voters now agree he’s a disaster-seeking ass.
You normally get a boost in popularity after you win, so this is maybe the best and most liked he ever gets. Here’s his ceiling: “While his favorable rating has improved since the election, 51% still hold an unfavorable view of him and just 41% are favorable.” That’s the best he can do, when he’s all promises and no “show me the money.” This is honeymoon Trump. Negative 10. Talk about your non-mandate. It’s not just you. The silent majority also think he’s gross.
- You know how there are groups to get more women to run, racial minorities to run, vets to run, etc? There’s also now a PAC devoted to getting more people with science backgrounds into office, 314 Action. They’re interested in all levels of government, and they sound pretty formidable. Science!
At the very least, I think as a country we have finally proved beyond a reasonable doubt that although “I’m not here to make friends” works on reality television, it is less effective for elected officials in a democracy.